Your cart is currently empty!
Test Kitchen: Banana Bread
Here at ALU HQ, we’ve let books guide our tummies on several occasions with delicious results (pasta, borscht and seafood, oh my!). In fact, we’ve planned entire meals based on books. And occasionally, we even get inspired to bake by the book. Below, ALU staffer Tan Light takes on a little banana bread baking journey spurred on by Sophie Bédard’s graphic novel Lonely Boys (Pow Pow Press).
Page 95 in Lonely BoysThe banana bread baking scene in Lonely Boys is about friends trying to recreate good memories when things get a bit rough. I was practically drooling over the thought of a nice, warm slice of banana bread as I watched Jen prep hers over several more pages. Oh, but Reader, we do not get the vicarious joy of seeing Lucie, Ella and Jen share in fruitcake of her labour! (Actually…it leads right into a scene about cupcakes). I need closure in the form of banana-based baked goods! A little trip through my pantry tells me I might be in luck. Banana Bread Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix flax, flour, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix butter and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and bananas to the butter and mix well.
- Add milk and vanilla to wet ingredients and mix.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add nuts if desired
- Pour batter into a large loaf pain and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 75 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!